At the spot where formerly the attendants hut of the Lederer Gate (a former city gate) was and the sandy shores of the Salzach. The leadership of building contractor Carl Frei
herr von Schwarz the street named after him Schwarzstraße was created. On the most beautiful part of the newly gained ground on the banks of the Salzach Schwarz built the former
Östereichischer Hof with the view to the old city and the fortress Hohensalzburg. After the completion of the three-year construction phase in 1866.
Even at that time, the hotel was something very special: It was and remains the only historic Grand Hotel in Salzburg. In 1988, Peter Gürtler took over the hotel with the promise to make it the finest and most beautiful hotel in the city. Thus began a new era for the popular hotel: major renovations started in 1989. In 1990, Elisabeth Gürtler assumed management. Under their aegis,
the three restaurants have been redesigned and the 113 rooms and suites matched to suit the historic style with great attention to detail and furnishings. Despite all the changes, what has remained are exactly those elements that constitute the charm of the house living tradition and atmosphere utterly unchanged.
In 2000, the Österreichischer Hof became the Hotel Sacher Salzburg. Since then the Hotel Sacher Vienna and the Hotel Sacher Salzburg have become sister hotels. The hotel was extensively renovated between 2011 and 2014. In addition, another renovation began between September 2015 until April 2016: Many rooms and suites with the view to the Salzburg State Theatre have been renovated from and correspond in design with the extraordinary high standard of the hotel. The interior was shaped by Alexandra Winkler with an impressive love of detail. The end of this renovation phase was the opening of the new Sacher Fitness Club with modern fitness devices, spacious sauna and steam bath.